Wednesday, October 26, 2011

clay

for the plaster project:
-we could combine the glay and plaster - make something out of clay, let it dry, and put plaster around it
-make a very simple circle of plaster, and then chip away at it and see what it can become
-make a bowl
-make a circle, and then add to it, and see if the shape stays the same

Clay:
I made a bowl from the wheel, a cube sculpture, a ripped in half book and a block with many indents in it. I had a hard time with the wheel. It was very messy and I kept screwing up. As I was doing it, I tried to experiments with making the bowl into different shapes. At first, I slapped a piece down to the middle of the circle of the wheel, poured some water, and got going. A mistake I made was letting the clay get to a point of not being attached to the wheel anymore. I think that could have either been from being too wet or too dry. When I made the clay sculpture, it was not planned. I could not think of a project so I just started by making a cube. I then thought about attaching many different sized cubes on it and seeing how it turned out. Every time I was about to attach a new one on, I would slip and score. I was not planning on having the book in 2 halves originally. I carved a line into the middle of the book, hoping it make it so the book bent, like it was open. My piece of clay was too thick, though, so it would not work, so I just carved a deeper line in, so it split in half. I drew page numbers on each page and drew curvy lines, representing the words on the page. My last one was the piece of clay with many indents. I do not really like this one. I was going to make a dice, but it did not turn out well, so I destroyed it. After I did that, I used one of the carving tools and just kept carving random shapes into it. I scooped little chunks of clay out as I carved. I can't find that sculpture.

No comments:

Post a Comment